strategy+business: TECH AND INNOVATION Latest trends and ideas in business innovation, technology, and creativity, R& D, breakthrough thinking and solutions, collaboration, and commercialization. Includes the Global Innovation 1000 Study, articles about technology, the web, internet marketing & ecommerce, mobile, cloud computing, information systems, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, disruption, and IT.
- The reconfiguration imperativeby by Ryan Hawk, Nadia Kubis, and Blair Sheppard on November 29, 2023 at 6:00 pm
Reconfiguring the industrial system to avoid the worst consequences of climate change will take audacity and practicality.
- Recorded live at APEC 2023: How will the Asia-Pacific region shape global growth?on November 21, 2023 at 6:00 pm
Hear exclusive insights recorded live at the premier annual summit of Asia-Pacific business and government.
- Is privacy possible in the age of AI?on November 7, 2023 at 6:00 pm
Google’s Chief Privacy Officer, Keith Enright, joins the Take on Tomorrow podcast to discuss the unique privacy challenges presented by generative AI.
- Want people to embrace transformation? Allow them to own the changeby by Greg Satell on October 2, 2023 at 5:00 am
When it comes to scaling a transformation, co-opting–allowing people to choose different ways of working–rather than persuading or coercing them can lead to success. This method, which starts with giving early adopters easy access to resources and empowering them to own the changes, has been used to encourage Guatemalans to switch from campfires to cookstoves, to move employees of a large tech company to cloud computing, and to entice hospitals to adopt life-saving practices.
- Boston Dynamics wants to change the world with its state-of-the-art robotsby by Bobbie van der List on August 15, 2023 at 5:00 am
In this Inside the Mind of the CEO feature, s+b speaks with the leader of Boston Dynamics, an engineering company that designs and builds robots for a range of commercial and public safety contexts. CEO Robert Playter talks about his company’s transformation from an R&D company to a full-fledged product company, and he dispels worries about the potential harm robots could cause in the workplace and the wider world.
- How to develop an intrapreneurial cultureby by David Lancefield on August 9, 2023 at 5:00 am
To instill an intrapreneurial culture in a business, it’s not enough to hold one-off events like hackathons. It requires a systemic approach. David Lancefield identifies five foundational building blocks that will nurture the kind of value-creating opportunities that reap significant rewards.
- Sun Life is building a culture of growth and transformationby by Allan Buitendag and Glenn Kauth on July 25, 2023 at 5:00 am
In this Inside the Mind of the CEO interview, s+b speaks with the leader of Sun Life, a financial-services giant in life insurance and asset management. CEO Kevin Strain discusses his strategy for growth and expansion and provides his views on the key role culture will play in helping Sun Life become a more agile and digital company.
- How to build a sustainable city at scaleby by Raymond Colitt on July 24, 2023 at 5:00 am
Berlin TXL, named for the old Berlin Tegel Airport on which it sits, is a sustainable city within a city, which by 2045 will be home to 10,000 people–a planned community where shops, schools, and doctors will all be a five-minute walk away. It’s a triple-zero strategy: erect buildings that consume zero energy, emit zero carbon, and leave behind zero waste.
- How to move the needle on innovationby by Theodore Kinni on June 5, 2023 at 5:00 am
Fostering innovation in large companies is a perennial challenge for leaders, no matter where employees are located. So how can leaders move the innovation needle? Lorraine Marchand, former general manager of the life sciences division of IBM’s Watson Health and author of The Innovation Mindset, offers the following suggestions: adopt a personal mindset of innovation, weave innovation into the business, train employees in problem-solving, and make it safe to fail.
- A metaverse that workson May 22, 2023 at 5:00 am
The May issue of s+b explores how businesses are finding real-world value in virtual reality.